Sunday, April 11, 2010

SUN AM...April 11, 2010: F'town Middle School Burns down during the night....

OMG.....no one called me!!!! Just got my sagging hulk out of the bed this morning, turned on the laptop and on Facebook saw the news: Fredericktown Middle School burns down!!!!!!!!!!! I slept through it all.......we are on the north side of town so did not hear all of the noise, etc......and just slept right through this....so, I have no pictures. I have no idea what happened.....appears to have started after midnight, but not sure when! Tons of fire depts responded it appears....and there are some pictures on FB that I will capture and try to post here later. Not sure what will happen now as this community cannot afford to build any more school buildings, even with the insurance. WOW......what a terrible loss for this town!!!!!!!!!!!

I was simply going to write about our day yesterday......which was mostly spent out in the yard once again. I cut back one huge ornamental grass as each spring they must be trimmed down as far as possible, which I did......we have six in the yard, so it takes time to get these all done. One more to do........

Then....yesterday afternoon late.....we left about 6 pm to attend a square dance in Puxico....a small town south of here about 75 miles, depending on which little county roads you take to get across the hills, throught the forests, and out of the valleys to get there. Friends of our from the RGV in Texas, whom we met at square dances down there emailed me to tell of us their regular dance and invited us down. Sooooo, off we went and arrived a few minutes before it began. Terrible roads to get there.....surfaces are good, but the curves and curves and curves make it impossible to make good time to arrive anywhere in that area.

It was great fun!!!!! And, I thank Larry and Sharon for inviting us to join their group last night. And.....it was fun to dance once again!!!!!!! Every one was sooooo friendly and welcoming......and we are soooo glad we made the trip down there. It is just a wee bit of a distance to drive to go to a dance, but.....we are going to try to go when we can. Great food, I might also add.....haha....not sure I danced long enough to work off the calories that my body took in during those 2.5 hours!!!!!!

OK.....I am going to close this for now.......will write more tonight when I learn more about the school. It was the old high school which has been remodeled over the years to adjust to the middle school needs.....and having not only taught there for 13 years during the afternoons, I also served on the local F'town Board of Education for three years, until we began to travel as much as we do......and I know how terrible the financial situation is in this community. Whew......and, of course, the kids will now not only have a building to finish the school year in, but there will be no books, materials, instruments, etc., etc., etc. Oh my god......

LIFE IS GREAT!!!!!......And, I hope it is for all of you, also!!!!

No comments: