Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Tues, Dec 15, 2009: TWO days of cold weather.....UGH!!!!

Hmmmm........I am beginning to get into a not-soooo-good habit......of only sitting down to think, to speak, to write about every two days. This has happened from time to time over the last 4.5 years...but not nearly as frequently as it seems to be now. I wonder why???? Am I saying the same things over and over???? I KNOW that I express my feelings about certain issues....and those feelings do not, and have not changed for years.....so, perhaps I feel like I am saying the same things over and over. And.......I believe I am! Perhaps some fresh approach to this blog is needed.....??!!! I was encouraged to write this blog....seems like just a few days ago.....by my former student/associate band director/good friend....Michael Goldsmith. And....for that I am really grateful.......but, I do need to talk/speak more, I believe, rather than just report on my daily doings!!!

However, after JUST spending a couple of hours watching the most delightful and enjoyable DVD movie...."Julie and Julia".......I do believe I will try to make some changes in this nightly affair that I have with sooooooo many of you out there in cyberspace...wherever you might be. By the way....DO rent this DVD, or go see it at the local movie theater......it is just a great movie. Meryl Streep is incredible.......and being a fan of cooking, I soooo enjoyed this movie!!

Our bank account plummeted more than I anticipated yesterday.....and the 1st Lady is still suffering from the shock when I returned from Doe Run where I had the truck serviced. Now....do not get me wrong.....I was not overcharged!!! It is just that I had several things fixed and they all take dollars to do and for the parts and labor. I have always used Duncan's 4x4....and I HIGHLY recommend them to anyone with a diesel truck that needs to have some expert servicing, no matter what the issue might be. I had an oil change/oil filter, fuel filter replaced(not cheap), transmission fluid drained and flushed and replaced, the serpentine belt needed to be replaced, new windshield wipers, and a few other minor issues.....and the cost was a bit over $400. However, they always do an excellent job of checking each and every thing on the truck as per my instructions....and when I drive away from there, I always feel like there is nothing I need to worry about. Bobby Duncan is a great person....and he seems to have some super employees in the shop!!!!! If you ever need anything, give them a try.....OK????

Returning home......the rest of the day went smoothly as the temperatures continued to drop. I did a few things in the yard,.......having not yet put the hoses into the garage for the winter, I took care of that little detail. I also put into the basement of the RV a few more things that I had not included last week when I was loading the basement for the three month winter escape.

And soooo, the day wound down quickly. We did receive a call from Jeremy about 2:45 saying that they had picked up Rachel at JFK International in New York City....and were on their way to show her the town. She then called us last night to tell us she had been to FAO Schwartz, and several other stores, as well as saw the HUGE Christmas tree at Rockefeller Center, Central Park, and other sites in the city. She was soooo excited!!!

TODAY:

After my morning rituals, French Roast coffee, and getting the mail, I went up to Farmington to get my 67 thin hairs trimmed a bit shorter. I assume it will look fine...after I wash it....and I can never tell for certain until I do shower, as those thin little hairs always look sooooo flat and so separated after I get a haircut. I also picked up the photo Christmas cards we had ordered online from Walgreen's......and there was a problem with the printing of the cards, so I had to call the 1st Lady and have her re-order them....and then wait another hour for them to get them printed. I believe these are OK.....and I say just, and only, that.....OK. I am not a fan of these types of cards....they are soooooo damn flimsy, as they print them on such thin and rather cheap photo paper. Oh well.......

This afternoon....well, I just kind of hung around........not much to do, and I was a bit down anyway. I seem to get this "low" feeling each year during this time of the year......a bit depressed. Not sure why, but I do know that it is NOT uncommon.......just something that happens to me each year for some reason. However, that wonderful movie we watched this evening was certainly a help.......I just really, really enjoyed it. The 1st Lady said that she certainly could commiserate with Julie's husband......once Julie began to get soooooo involved in her daily blog. Hmmmm.........does that say something about me writing this????? She has never ever....EVER....read one day of this blog....saying she is sure she will be embarrassed if she does. Hmmmmm.........I don't believe that she will/would be......do you?????

In the movie, Julie brings up a good point about her blog......is anyone reading it.....are they really interested in it.......and, why are people reading this blog????? I, too, have asked myself the same questions!!! I know at the end of each day exactly how many of you out there have read this blog.....NOT who you are, but I do know the city where your internet provider is located, so I have some basic idea the area of the country AND world where you are living. But.....her thoughts brought up thoughts to me.......what is it that brings YOU back to this blog almost every day??????? I have very, very, very few comments on this blog....so, I get no feedback from you, my blog readers. It WOULD be great to hear from a few more of you......really, it would!!!! How about it......huh????

Sooooo, after two days, I now look towards the next couple of days, as the 1st Lady has her prep to do for a colonoscopy scheduled for Thursday morning. Not a major procedure, but one that I have been encouraging her to have done!!! And soooo, we were able to work it into our tight schedule before we leave for the Rio Grande Valley in Texas. AND.......tomorrow is her BIRTHDAY!!!!!!! What a way to celebrate.....prepping for her Thursday morning procedure!!!

And so......after two days, as I always say.....

LIFE IS REALLY, REALLY GREAT!!!!!.....And, I hope it is for all of you, also!!!!!!!

8 comments:

Hotel Cal said...

Please talk more about French Roast coffee. Oh, and some sex stuff would be good too.

Keith said...

John, You know I read this almost every day because I have told you before. Why? Sometimes I really don't know.. Ha Ha... I love the travel blogs...the chance to travel without going somewhere I can't really afford to go. Other than that, maybe I am just nosy..huh?..or maybe you are a good writer, and I just enjoy catching up on the days news like reading a newspaper. At any rate, keep it up if Mrs. H doesn't mind.

Alicia said...

John, I know what you mean about not know about people reading your blog. I think the same thing when I write in mine. Yes, I do read your blog every day, the reason is because I have met both of you and enjoy hearing what you are doing. Yes, sometimes we do seem to repeat things we are doing, but that is life. We can't be out of this world interesting all the time. I know I'm not.
When you head down to the RGV, try to leave the cold there, we have had enough of it here and over 4 inches of rain today. Take care and see ya soon.

Alicia said...

Oh I forgot, Happy Birthday to Marsha and Happy Holidays to both of you.

Anonymous said...

Hello and Merry Christmas to the Houser household!

I do enjoy your blogging and became a fan when you were on "World Travels".....I am not yet retired and I guess I an envious of those who have the freedom to travel. I lived for 3.5 years in Italy and got the travel bug then, when I was single.

After marriage Nancy and I have traveled to all 50 states, Canada, Mexico, Columbia, Panama and other Islands in the Gulf. Like you we enjoy the planning almost as much as the vacation. Norm

Larry and Cindy said...

Tell your 1st Lady Happy Birthday from the Crosses. What she is having done isn't something I would want to do on my Birthday. Don't know if you are aware Cindy works as a scheduler for GI Doctors, they do the same procedures as Marsha will go through.

I know how you feel about being depressed during the Xmas season, I don't know why either, must be the weather.

I know as one of your readers I enjoy hearing about what you two are doing especially your trips.

The feedback that I may offer is keep up the good work with your blog. I may not get to read daily but when I do I do get caught up on all the entries.

I hope you have a very Merry Christmas..

Larry

Mel said...

Your blog is on my google reader and I check it pretty much every day. I don't usually leave you comments...I think because you are so easily accessible to me on facebook or I can just catch you while you are in town. But I'd love to leave you comments if you're inviting them!!!

Dr. Brian S. McKenney said...

Agreed! Julie & Julia was terrific! Enjoyed the references to Food Network personalities (i.e. Mario Batali, etc...). After just a few scenes, I forgot that I wasn't watching Julia Child!!