Monday, May 25, 2009

Memorial Day, May 25, 2009: Shitty day with inches of rain!

Yep...the title says it all!!!! Awoke early this morning with the awning flapping outside, the sliding bars rattling and the rains pounding down. Sooooo, upwards...out of the bed I pull myself, get on my most used shorts and flip flops, and get out into the wetness of lots of rain. I found a chair to stand on.........my mother's fault for my shortness of heighth......and after cutting lose a little twirly balloon thingy, I went to work to get the awning retracted....as quickly as I could. At least there were no major problems, except I couldn't see anything since my glasses are not equiped with glass wipers, but only fell out of the chair once when it sank at least three inches into the mud.....the water being up to my ankles!!!! At least it went up.......and while the winds were not very strong, I was NOT going to take any chances of some unknown and un-predicted "Inland Hurricane" arriving. Soooo, stumbling back inside, I found a towel, removed my sopping clothes and redressed.

In less than 30 minutes the rains REALLY began to pour down upon us.....and we must have had at least 2 inches in a very short time as the water began to roll down the hillside behind us....and I kept hoping that the rv's up above us would remain there and not come sliding/floating down upon us!!! The asphalt street in front of us suddenly developed a 2'x2' opening as the pavement was pushed upwards and the concrete below soon was on top of the asphalt!!! Yep....the rains were really, really coming down!!!!! I began to wonder if I needed to prepare for another insurance adjuster..........

However, it was only about 30 minutes of this cloudburst....and then it gradually began to return to just drizzles. I had some Fr. Roast coffee.....and when it finally did end, I went outside to begin to put my chairs, bbq grill, etc., etc. away.....as well as pick up the heavy, soggy towels, t-shirts, bathing suits that had drooped to the ground/mud!!

I decided I should empty the black tank as we have had numerous relatives inside THH(TheHowserHouse).....and with the actual "hole" for the sewage higher than the sewage hose that I use to drain the tanks, I knew that I would have to "massage" the hose to get things moving upwards to the opening to the underground sewer lines. Well......have you ever seen the movie "RV"?????? OK.....I felt like I was almost the star in it as suddenly the hose on my connection where then tanks come from the rv....well it suddenly slipped off of the plastic attachment.....and....OMG, I know instantly had black sewage spewing out from the end of the hose AND coming directly from the black tank in the underbelly of THH!!!!!! I picked up the end of the hose, quickly closed the slide on the exit from the black tank....and then began to survey the damages.....and my nose told me the raw truth.....yep, a real pun!!!!

Soooo, for the next 10 minutes or so, I worked the water hose to clean up the spill.....not a pleasant task, but better than just leaving it for the neighbors to enjoy visually and aromatically! OK...this day was not off to a very good beginning!!!!

I finished THAT task, finished getting things ready to leave in the morning......as I didn't want to wait for tomorrow and have to deal with all of the rains that are predicted......and then retired to THH for more coffee, some hand sterilization, and another change of clothing. I just kept asking myself if I "was having fun, yet?"

This afternoon we went in to Monroe City....10 miles....and visited with the 1st Lady's mother, as well as our son Jeremy and Anne-Marie. They have to fly back from STL tomorrow.....they live in Hartford, CT......and the 1st Lady will deposit them at the airport in STL by 4pm tomorrow afternoon. I will leave around noon for F'town....and hopefully, have a friend who will be my spotter as I attempt to get around all of the downed trees, logs, brush, and get THH backed into the driveway. If not, guess I will live in the old W-M parking lot where the store used to be.........

And soooo, the weekend comes to a close....and it is soon back to negotiating with the insurance adjusterS!!!!

LIFE IS GREAT!!!!!!.....And, I hope it is for all of you, also!!!!!!

No comments: