Tuesday, May 19, 2009

May 19, 2009: Two days of flying.......

Hmmmmm......and I really thought that I could no longer multi-task.......until these past two days. And.....these two days have just gone by soooooo damn quickly.....I suppose because I have kept sooooo busy attempting to get everything done that we have to do....and you know what the problem really is?????? The list of "to do's" just keeps lengthening.....

Most of these two days revolves around trying to resolve the problems we currently have with the damages from the Inland Hurricane. For the past two days......and today, we now have our trees that were on the ground completely chopped/sawed into sections that can be moved.....and all of the trees are now cut and down.

We have had assistance from Disaster Teams from the Southern Baptist Convention......from Wright City, MO...and from Nixa, MO, plus team members from other towns who are assisting them. WOW....they just step in, take over, and in a relatively short period time they get the jobs completed!!!! Today.....the yard was full of gold-shirted team members......chain saws buzzing, a tractor pushing logs into place along side the street, riding mowers pulling carts full of branches, longs, etc., etc.....and they never stopped until my yard was no longer filled with just toppled trees.....the had them in those pieces and at the curb for pick-up at some later date.....probably VERY much later by the city.

Then........another couple came by.....F'town former students of mine to ask if they could have the logs, etc., etc to use as firewood next winter. And......sooo, many of these chunks and logs began to disappear into their truck. Soooooo, only one real problem still remains.....and that is the HUGE root ball that is still on it's side sticking up into the air about 9 feet. But.....we do have a price that we can work with on getting this removed.....

This afternoon I had a contractor take the measurements of the roof........and will give us our first bid on the replacement of the shingles and many of the underlayment.....the boards and plywood sheeting. Sooooo, now we are still just waiting on the ins. adjuster(ess) for the go ahead........

Yesterday I began to the clean-up of the RV.....and it is almost always a two day job, without the waxing, which it really, really needs. However, I will get that done after this holiday weekend.....Today, I finished washing the roof, the sides, and the windows all by hand. LOTS of grime, burned sugar cane gunk from Texas on the top of the RV....and some of it on the sides.

While I was on the ladder...up and down....I discovered that there are a couple of things that must have happened by the winds of the storm...and by flying debris. Our LARGE back window is scratched and a very tiny chip out of it......the front cap where the decal is on it has two indentations....about the width of a power line.....and I'm almost certain that the power lines snapped and flew up against the front of the RV which caused these marks. Also...the back window damages must have happened by flying shingles with the roofing nails in them......there were shingles all over the driveway and yard immediately after the end of the storm. Soooo, I will call the insurance company that insures the RV.....and see what I can find out. The damn policy is almost impossible to interpret by this sagging.....REALLY sagging hulk of Me....and so, hopefully I can get some assistance from them on repairing these issues.

This morning, I had the oil changed, fuel filter, and other checks made on the internal workings .....and I do need front brakes. Soooo, I plan to get them next week.......time is running out this week.

We plan to go to "The Landing" on Mark Twain Lake just west of Hannibal to meet the 1st Lady's family for a holiday weekend. We are taking TheHowserHouse on-wheels.......and I am some reservations about getting it back into the driveway....with all of the tons of logs, branches, etc., lining both sides of the street that I must use to back it into the driveway. Today helped and I think over the next two days I can get some of this stuff pushed back some more!!!

Oh.....one of the chain saw men .....after he finished, he took a section of the tree that was thick enough and sawed a small cross out and left it for us in the yard. I nice touch from these great people who did all of this all for free!!!!!!

And sooooo, while it seems like this shouldn't have taken up all of my time......it did, and it continues tomorrow and the next day and the next and so on. We have tons of things to do in regards to the damages.........it just takes sooooo much time........sooooo much!!!!

And so....you have a very small synopsis of the past days.......I/we are very tired.....but, we just keep pushing ourselves to try to get this all done so that we can get away for at least a couple of weeks in June to attend the International Cedar Creek RV Owner's Club Rally in Las Cruces, New Mexico. As of this time, we have cancelled the rest of the trip as I feel certain that we will not get our yard and home back in shape by the time we leave for those two weeks.......we just hope that we CAN get away for the New Mexico journey!!!!!

And soooo,.......

LIFE IS GREAT.......And, I hope it is for all of you, also!!!!!!!

No comments: