Friday, January 26, 2007

Day 25: A great day to be in the Valley!!!

Cloudy...sunny....warm....cloudy...etc., etc. As I said....it was a great day here four miles from the Mexico border........almost perfect. It certainly made it easier to haul my fat ass out of the horizontal position and get my Fr. Roast coffee dripping........didn't even have to worry about turning on the fireplace!!!

The 1st Lady was up not tooo long after I came downstairs.....and before long, AFTER we each had an entire LARGE grapefruit.....she was off to the Fitness Center here in the Park. It usually takes her about an hour or so to work her way through her program......and the she returned. To show you how nice it was......she went and returned by bicycle.....something she has not been able to do all week because of the ugly, nasty weather.

We had lunch.....and then hurried off to Rec-Veh Park in Alamo, TX......a few miles to the west of here. We joined others that we knew in their Rec Hall for two hours of square dancing.......and each time we seem to get a bit better. And........we know that we will certainly miss this when we return to Misery(MO). Not certain if they have square dancing at the RV Park in Arizona where we will be spending a month very soon. (We leave here on Thursday of next week).

After reading a blog that had been recommended to me by my good friend, Goldie......it set me to thinking, just as it did him. It is written by a 93 year old man......who is very, very "with it" and very literate.......how lucky he is at that age!!! Anyway......

He mentioned a statement his parents/grandparents had said......and strangely enough.....I have oftentimes said the very same thing: When you reach this age(and are still lucid), you still think like a 30 year old person, but your body has gone on and aged and started it's downhill slide to the finish line.

Yep......I still think like a 30 year old guy......perhaps YOU don't think I do.....but to me, I do! I "feel" like a 30+ year old guy.......but, my body is now not that pleasant to look at!!! And......as I look at the senior citizens that are here in the Valley.......somewhere near a quarter of a million of them who flock to this area of Texas each winter......I keep thinking: God.....they look sooooo old....what the hell am I doing here with all of them? HAHA!!!! And it shocks me when I realize that I am older than some of them.......!!! When do I realize that I am just like them???? When I step out of the shower each morning and find myself staring at this sagging hulk, stark naked,(NOT a good visual, is it?)....and thinking to myself.....HOW could this have happened sooooo damn quickly???

And, my younger friends......it DOES happen sooooo damn quickly!!!!! Many of my former students are way into their 40's....and I guess the first ones I had in class are now in their 50's!!! UGH!!! But.......you know.....my mind continues (THANK GOD) to think thoughts that many of you younger people think......... It is strange.......it is complex......it is disturbing.......my mind has become entrapped in this sagging, aging hulk of bones and wrinkling dried-out skin with ugly brown spots all over my hands......YUK!!!

I mistakenly think and believe that I will continue thinking "young".....that I will continue to be able to come and go where ever I desire and whenever I desire.......that I will ALWAYS be able to travel and enjoy all kinds of exotic places and exotic foods. And then.....I look around at others who are only a bit older than I am and they are having all sorts of troubles with their physical body......and their minds are beginning to falter and forget things(and I know I do that, also). Sooooooo........

You know, time is tooooo damn short for all of us as we amble about this earth. And I fully believe that each one of us must take each day and live it to the fullest.......taking all of our "dark red medicine" often and enjoying each dose.......as well as doing the things that we really WANT to do. My God......am I ever ramblin'......just like some other old Farts!!!

And in thinking about all of this..........I realize that I will not be able to do all of the things I want to do before my eyes close for the final time........but I sure as Hell am going to give it my best shot to do them all!!!! And sooooooo, with this semi-morbid discussion......

LIFE IS GREAT......and I hope it is for all of you, also!!!! Don't wait.....go do the things you want to do NOW!!!!

No comments: