Thursday, January 25, 2007

Day 23: WOW.....BLINDED BY THAT BALL OF FIRE!!!!

DAMN.....I had to put on sunglasses before I got out of bed.......that bright ball of fire was shining in through the skylight over the shower.......hurt the eyes it was sooooo bright!! BUT.....I am NOT complaining........it was just super.

The 1st Lady....well, she was soooo excited about the sun that she was up early....and was off to the Laundromat here in the park......she went to the largest one as there are two of them here.
About a half hour later I realized that she had not taken my favorite sweatshirt and so I jumped on my bike and hauled my ass over there at breakneck speed(???how fast it that???)....but alas...I was toooo late. Soooo, I decided to ride around the park and kept up the speed as much as I could for almost a half hour, winding up back at TheHowserHouse. WHEW.....was I ever winded!!!! Sure got my heart rate up on that ride.......

After she returned and we got the clean clothes put away....we decided to get out in that bright sunshine and warmer temps......and so we headed west over to the Mission area to try to find Pepe's on the River.....a watering hole that sits right on the banks of the Rio Grande. First, we went to the Bentson State Park....which requires either a tremendous amount of walking or bicycles.....and we had not brought ours with us, so we opted out on that little expedition. It is part of the World Bird Sanctuary......and since we ALSO did not have our birding books with us to help identify them, we decided to try to locate Pepe's.

After a bit of driving and somehow missing the turn-off, we turned around and found the sign to Pepe's....and soon found the two places...as there ARE two of them about 200 yards apart, but BOTH right on the side of the Rio Grande. The signs are rather difficult to see....but nevertheless, we made it!

They both have HUGE covered patios overlooking the river......like large palapas....the patio roofs are made of palm fronds/leaves. There is live music performers in each of the two bars/cafes.......and so, there is a choice of where you want to go. Can't imagine both being FILLED with patrons, but guess they can get busy when the weather is 100% ok.

We sat in the first one we came to........ordered some onion rings and a couple of Corona's.....umm...good!!!! The onion rings were not as great as at the Lone Star in Harlingen, but they were mucho better than good!! The music was good......and it was great fun to watch the Border Patrol boats running up and down the river doing their job. The Rio is soooooo nice at this area.......placid and deep(the Border Patrol told me it was 35 feet deep at this area). It was soooo nice to just sit and enjoy the quietness of the river.......even with the music blaring away. All the music is C&W.......not my favorite, but I am getting used to it down here.

After a couple of Corona's a piece, we decided to walk on down to the other Pepe's(Pepe's II). We sat outside the patio area as it was sooooo much cooler under the roof and that is NOT what we wanted! I ordered a coffee....as thought I might be driving before toooo long......and enjoyed the music and the vocalist. He was really quite good......and he even came over and sang personally to the 1st Lady....which she really enjoyed!!! HAHAA.....a change of pace for her!!! We danced a few times.......and.....

Soooo, after another hour or so.....and after a discussion of various restaurants to patronize with a group of fellow Winter Texans from the state of Kansas.......we decided to go on down to another club/bar/cafe......where a large boat departs for hour long trips up the Rio for sight-seeing. We drove down there....about a half mile.....and it was a bit, well...how should I say it...a "step up" from the other two Pepe's. We decided to have a bite to eat there as it was about 5pm....and so we ate on the banks of the Rio. The food was just....."ok". Nothing special but it was filling. I had a tenderloin sandwich......and it was HUGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Never had one that large!!!!

After wandering around over the area.....more patios outside with some attractive landscaping around the seating areas to view the Rio.....we returned to the truck to return to our Park. After about a 25 miles drive, we returned to TheHowserHouse.........and we both felt it was a GREAT expedition......a GREAT day........and that we would return to Pepe's again..(and again).

And sooooooo........after spending time on the Rio.......I AM SOOOOOOO STRONGLY AGAINST THE IDEA OF A "WALL" BETWEEN OUR TWO GREAT COUNTRIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WHAT a waste of our money!!!!! Don't get me wrong........the illegal entrants to our country MUST be brought to a stop......but NOT with a WALL!!!!! HOW DUMB!!!!!!! (Ok....I will get off of my soapbox....the sermon is finished....)

And so.......I have spouted off.....I have drunk a few beers......I have seen the sun once again.....I have enjoyed a splendid day........and as usual....

LIFE IS GREAT!!!!!!!.....and I hope it is for all of you, also!!!

No comments: