Monday, September 28, 2009

Day 45, Sept 28, 2009: And another day on the road........

Late last night, those winds that pushed us all over the highway yesterday from Cheyenne to Henderson, NE.....well, they finally calmed down...WHEW!!!! I was totally exhausted last night, my shoulders aching from holding the steering wheel soooooo tightly...the tension going from my hands up into my shoulders....UGH!!!

This morning I was up at 6:45, a few abbreviated mornng rituals, and then it was outside with that hot cup of coffee to check on the tire pressure on all 8 tires. This time....they needed about 4-5 pounds consistently throughout all of the tires. Soooo, I went back inside to secure the den, putting things away and unhooking the tv/converter box, etc......and soon I closed the glass door and then ate some breakfast. At 8am, I took out the air compressor and let it get going, rather loudly, and then filled all 8 tires to their max cold pressure.

By 8:45, we were hooked and pulling out onto I-80 and pointed the nose of the truck towards the east.....and the city of Lincoln. We were only 50 miles west of Lincoln....and soon we were circling around it to the south...and then the winds began once again........hitting us HARD from the north, pushing us around on the highway with those huge gusts. After about an hour we were in Iowa...and turned south on I-29, which helped for awhile as the winds were then coming from the north...and they pushed us down the road with little effort for the truck.

Going through Kansas City, or should I say...around the city on I-435......and by that time the winds were then coming from the northwest and slamming us again. The traffic on 435 was horrendous....and I stayed in the middle lane, not remembering whether the ramp onto I-70 exited 435 from the right or left hand lane.....and it finally was announced on the sign....and I swiftly moved over into the left lane, and soon I was then battling the crowds on I-70.

OK.....I'm sure you are wondering what all of that has to do with anything!!!! Correct you are......I just don't have too much to say this evening. Once again, my shoulders are screaming from the tension of the winds on THH, as well as the KC traffic. Soooo, when we reached the Higginsville exit, I pulled off and went up to the Interstate RV Park, a Good Sam Park which I had picked out last night.....after reading the RV Park Reviews online. And....it seems to have been a good choice, at least for just an overnight off of the interstate. No real amenities, except for excellent wifi, but a safe and secure place to hook up to the power post for electricity, water, and sewage.

We hung around for awhile and then went across to the north side of the interstate to what has to be the LARGEST cowboy boot store......anywhere!!!! I have never seen soooo many rows and rows and rows and aisles and aisles of boots and more boots...and, MORE BOOTS!!!! Then.....tons and tons and tons of cowboy shirts, hats, buckles, belts, etc., etc. I actually DID purchase a long sleeve cowboy/western shirt for square dancing this winter while we are in the RGV in Texas......as I really did need another one.

Then we drove east nine miles on the interstate to Concordia to have something to eat for dinner. Wound up at Biffle's BBQ.....a place we had eaten at many years ago. And, after eating tonight, we remembered why we had gravitated back here.......it was really GREAT!!!!

Returning to the rv park, we have now collapsed inside to watch a bit of tv by antenna coming out of KC....and it is a pretty good picture. The winds seem to have begun to "lay low".....and we are sooooo glad. Sooooo, we need an early start in the morning......about 275 miles left to go to our stick and brick. And....we do need to get there and backed into our driveway BEFORE the school bus and parent's cars begin to arrive!!!!!

Tomorrow is the fourth day on the road.....and the total miles will be somewhere around 1425 miles, give or take a few. As I mentioned to the 1st Lady tonight.....I can drive 800-900 miles in one day's trip while driving the car.....but I cannot do that while towing THH.......there is just tooooo much tension when pulling that dinosaur of 14,000+ pounds around behind me....always concious of it being there, looking around and ahead to check for quick emergency plans should one be needed, etc., etc. Never can I relax completely when towing it down the road........

And sooooo..........as always,

LIFE IS JUST REALLY, REALLY INCREDIBLE!!!!!......And, I hope it is for all of you, also!!!!!

No comments: