Friday, July 25, 2008

Day 47: A day of changing plans................

Awakened by the raindrops slowly falling on the roof of TheHowserHouse I just laid there and listened, hoping to get back to sleep, even though it was beginning to look lighter outside. Nope….no sleep, just thoughts.…… And so, around 6:30 I quickly raised my sagging hulk to a slightly vertical position and began the morning rituals.

I then came downstairs and turned on the coffee maker....and soon there was a very hot cup of French Roast on the table in front of me. I spent some time online.....and then around 8:15, I woke up the 1st Lady…..and she began her daily rituals.

About 8:30, I went up to the laundry to make a phone call to a campground in Sussex, New Brunswick…but, no answer. Guess no one wakes up very early at that cg!! Returning to THH, the 1st Lady suggested we extend for one more night here in Halifax….and so, I ran up to the office and they told me that I could keep the same site, so we are now not going to leave here until Sunday morning. We will stay overnight in Sussex…..and I got the reservations there also.

I then emailed the RV Park in Ellsworth, Maine….and got confirmation of my reservation there, also. Things were going quickly.….and successfully. It began to rain again…..and so we decided to not go to Lunenburg and Mahone Bay until tomorrow..…taking a chance that the weather will be better then.

We were just hanging out around THH…..and then I checked my emails…..and had an important one from Dr. Jeni. She wanted us to begin the trip back to Missouri….a change of her plans which makes ours change, also. The birth of her to-be-adopted child might come sooner than the projected date of Aug. 26th…..and since she and husband Darrel will have to immediately fly to Tampa……we will have to take Meghan and Ava in their Suburban to Florida at that time. Well……that does mean we need to be “on call”…..and so, we sat down and re-evaluated our plans and began to formulate new ones.

At first, the thought was to change our travel plans for Sun. and Mon……and then we re-thought all of this and decided to stay with our initial plans for travel on Sunday and Monday. I began checking the routes from where we will be in Maine….about 15 miles from Bar Harbor…and discovered it is almost 1500 miles to F‘town. That will take 3-4 days and we did promise Dr. Jeni that we would be home sometime next weekend. And….I do believe that we can keep to that schedule. We will cut short our stay around Bar Harbor and Acadia National Park to head west…….perhaps on Thursday, which would put us home either Sat or Sunday next week. We then have to be ready to head to Florida at a moment’s notice……..hmmmm, what will it be like to be “on call” for a month???

After finally getting all of these plans changed….we decided to go on a brief shopping trip later this afternoon..…and that is what we did. Before that, though.…I did meet our next door neighbors..…and they are from Newfoundland. They told me that we needed to make that trip in the near future..….and we would like to do that someday. I asked them about them coming to the states.….and had a big chuckle from their reply: “We will not come down to the states until Bush is no longer President!!!” They were adamant about that statement....and went on to discuss their strong feelings. And…..these good people are not the only ones here in Canada that have made the same type of statement to me over the past six weeks. In fact……the lady next door wanted to know what was wrong with the people of the USA to elect “that man” twice????? It is just amazing how many people around the world feel the same way!!!! And…..so do the 1st Lady and myself.

We went to a local area where there are all kinds of stores and shops.……and after looking around for a couple of hours, we decided to check out the local provincial run liquor store: NSLC. WELL………..WHAT a store!!!!!! And…..WHAT prices!!!!! Every bottle of wine that I normally would purchased.…the kinds that I enjoy….were almost exactly TWICE the price as they are in the states.

But….the most fun thing about that store was the little bars that were set up inside offering FREE tastings of mixed drinks!!!!!!! WOW….WOW. The 1st Lady and I each had three different kinds of vodka martinis…..and WHEW…..what fun!!!! This is the way to shop!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Returning to THH, we fixed a light supper….and then as the rains began again, we settled in for the night...and hoping that the rains would not materialize for tomorrow..…UGH!!! With any luck, we will meet up with friends from F’town…..Bob and Janet Seabaugh…who will be at Lunenburg tomorrow for a couple of days, as they are spending a couple of months, like us, seeing the Maritime Provinces of Canada.

And so.…changes of plans..…and most likely, there will be more....haha!!! But, nevertheless..…

LIFE IS REALLY, REALLY GREAT!!!!!…..And, I hope it is for all of you, also!!!!

No comments: