Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Misery in Missouri has returned.....

Heat....heat...heat...humidity and more humidity and even MORE humidityy......and all of these two things make Missouri very miserable for June!!!! Today the temp registered at 96 and only God knows what the humidity was here. From the time I stepped out onto the patio for my morning coffee, I could tell it was not going to be pleasant today. And....it wasn't!!!

I made a couple of trips to the Supermart of Wally World here in F'town today. One trip is never enough, is it??? So the 1st Lady sent back this afternoon with another short list of items. Oh well......I always get to see friends and former students while there.....and it becomes a way of socializing here in "small town America".

A dumb mistake by a checkout girl last Friday evening at the local Country Mart grocery store caused some real panic for the 1st Lady today as she checked online with our checking account balances. I had run to the grocery store......the ONLY one in town which allows them to set prices higher than they should be. I bought $9.71 worth of milk, etc., etc. and at the checkout counter I handed my credit card to the clerk.....they don't trust us to swipe it ourselves!!....and then she went beserk as she let a few words fly and grabbed the power cord to the credit card machine and pulled it out of the receptacle. Seems she had entered $979.71 when she ran the card......"Don't worry", she said. "I unplugged it before it went through."

Well, you know what happened, don't you??? Yep......we had a charge for $979.71 on our bank statement for charging at the Country Mart!!!!!! The real charge of $9.71 also showed up......BUT.....the girl did not try to make a change for the LARGE mistake.

Sooooo, I rushed down there to talk to the manager. I took a copy of my bank statement.....and luckily, I had KEPT the receipt for the smaller, correct purchase. I explained all of this to the manager, or whomever this young man was........and he said he would credit our account. He then began to blame the girl and said that she had probably taken all of that money......and that she had most likely made the mistake purposely!! Well.....that is HIS problem....not mine. Soooo, now I have another receipt for the credit to my account to hold onto until it goes through my account in STL.

Spent most of that afternoon inside.....I do NOT do well in this stifling heat/humidity....and I didn't want to find myself laying on the moist grass under the blazing sun of summer. Sooo, I watched a bit of the tellie.......dozed for about 10 minutes and felt great!!!

I fixed dinner this evening.......a good old meal that we used to have when our kids were younger. Cubed steaks....which I pounded to make them a bit more tender.......and these were smothered in mushrooms as they gently fried in olive oil. Some beans seasoned with bacon drippings, some brussel sprouts in butter, and I made some gravy from the pan drippings......and all accompanied by a glass of dark red medicine!!! It was damn good......even though it was not very healthy eating!!!

Then.....about 7pm, I headed outside in the 89 degree temps and began mowing the lawn......sweating away pounds of me all over the cut grass!!! I got about 3/4 of the lawn cut before my body gave out and I put the mower away for the evening. WHAT a slimy sagging hulk I was as I quietly slipped into the shower and stood there recovering in the cold water!!! FELT SOOO GOOD!!!

And so.....another boring day in my Life.....and all for you to read about!! HAHAHA!!!! Sorry.....I can't blame you for not getting this far in the post..........this day was boring for me.....so it MUST be boring for all of you!!!! But......

Life is Great......and I hope it is for all of you, also!!

No comments: