Thursday, December 16, 2010

Thurs, Dec 16, 2010: WINTER IS HERE!!!!...as well as the 1st Lady's birthday

Well, I would certainly be remiss if I didn't post tonight.......as it was not a good night for the family in St Louis, last night. If you remember, I remained back in the sticknbrick yesterday afternoon when the 1st Lady left to join Dr. Jeni and Darrel, Jeremy and Anne-marie in STL for her birthday dinner. I remained here as my leg and rear were just to painful to make that drive up there, sit a few hours through cocktails and a slow dinner, and then return here for the night.

Soooo, the evening went quietly.....I caught up with some of missed programs which I had recorded on the DVR......and just generally watched for the oncoming wet and cold weather. When the 1st Lady left, she had already to remain in the STL area overnight......staying with Dr. Jeni/Darrel at their home west of the city. Well......I talked with all of them often during the evening, texting and chatting on the phone. As they left the restaurant, it was getting very bad....and they decided to leave their cars at Michael's father in-in-law's house and go on out to Dr. Jeni's home with her and Darrel in their heavy Suburban.

I had heard via Facebook that traveling on I-44 towards the southwest of the city was becoming impassable.......and sometime around midnight, or earlier.....I had a call and they were already in a totally blocked area of the interstate.......it had been CLOSED!! Soooo, they sat there...and, it was from 10:30pm........through the night until about 4:30AM this morning when they finally were able to drive on to their home. Being only about 15 miles from their house when they came to a total shutdown on the highway.......it was really frustrating for them as well as exhausting for the six of them to remain in the Suburban for six hours in the freezing rain and mist.

I kept getting text messages from the 1st Lady as they sat there.....and, when I received one....which woke me up....about 2:30, I finally called KSDK TV in STL to ask if they knew what was going on out there........and they took my name and phone number and told me they had NO idea that there were tons of trucks, semi's, and autos completely blocked out there! Never heard back from them......but at least they managed to weave and dart between trucks and cars and onto the shoulder and finally made the exit ramp which then was only about 13 miles from the house. It was not a good night....but everyone was safe, but tired!!!

And.....today is the 1st Lady's birthday!!!!!! Soooooo, I am certain that while last night was a fun night for her.....even though I was MISSING from the celebrations.......I am sure today was a day of being just wiped out from lack of sleep last night.

OK......the ice storm was bad, not for the amount deposited.....just enough to turn everything into glazed and smooth icy surfaces.....but for the way that the MO Dept of Transportation handled this first big winter event. Anyone involved in being stranded in the storm will feel no differently, I'm sure. MODOT just didn't do their job last night......period!!! Were they prepared for this storm.......I'm sure they were....but the preps that they usually do for the highways/roads just didn't seem to do the job this time.....!

However.....the good thing is that my leg and rear has felt somewhat better today. The MRI was postponed until tomorrow as the Orthopedic Group did not open today....due to the storm. Glad that happened because there is no way I could have backed my truck out of the driveway today.......never mind having to most likely crawl across the driveway to reach it. Soooo, tomorrow......off to Farmington as the 1st Lady returns here sometime during the day.

And soooo........as always.....

LIFE IS GREAT!!!!!!......And, I hope it is for all of you, also!!!!!

No comments: