Friday, December 17, 2010

Fri, Dec 17, 2010: MRI.......

Yesterday.....it was almost a pain free day for me.......just never had to take any Excedrin at all. Yep......I was a bit excited by the end of the day when I realized that it had been such an easy and good day, albeit the slick driveway and streets and highways and my family all stranded/blocked on the interstate almost all night long.

However, yesterday was a good day for them as the kids didn't have to go to school and "Grammy" could play with them all day, even with her being up all night.

This morning......??? Well, the pains began about 4AM......and I had some Excedrin by the bedside, so they went down quickly. However, this time the pains didn't completely go away.....just subsided enough to allow me to take care of getting ready for the MRI this morning. I started the truck and let it run for about 15 minutes prior to leaving for Farmington with a stop to get fuel before leaving town.

The MRI, a first for this sagging hulk of Me, took only about 40 minutes....and I actually fell into a light sleep, but just conscious enough to be aware that I wasn't supposed to move anything while in the open MRI machine. An easy way to have someone see inside me........relaxed on my back with this flat round thing hovering above me like an alien's space ship.....whirring and knocking and grinding and making strange sounds all during that time. I came awake enough to hear the guy on the controls say over the speaker that I had 15 minutes left until I was finished....and then off I slipped back into la-la land.

Following that procedure, I was off to the WM Supercenter.....to pick up a few things that our amazing WM here in F'town doesn't stock.....sarcasm this is, this is!!!! Then by that time, my pains were increasing to the point I thought I might have to make a run for the restrooms there, but managed to divert my aging mental faculties to another thought....and made it out of there OK.

Returning to the sticknbrick, some the pains had tapered off....and were manageable for me. I had some coffee, a quick bite of lunch.....and then at 2pm was at the Doc's office here in town. He had already talked with the MRI offices and then the Dr's in the Orthopedic Center there about the results. Initial results are....with all agreeing whom have seen the MRI.......is a bulging disc.....a not uncommon problem, and this one, as of now, appears to be a mild one without any need for any invasive actions. OK......the only thing is that there the possibility of a lengthy recovery period.....but, no one can accurately predict that at all! Soooo, I will give this Doc another week.....and then perhaps move on for more opinions, IF it hasn't improved. It IS better than it was about 11 days ago when I couldn't get into any position to relieve the pains. THAT is gone and has not occurred for almost 6 days now.....so, that IS improvement. Doc says that the swelling has gone down "a lot" since I was first there, soooooooo.....hopefully.....!!!

Tomorrow will not be the best for my "bulge"....hmmmm, don't get excited ladies......as we have a 3.5 hour car trip to make up to Hannibal for the family of Marsha's Christmas celebration....an annual event where we all meet at the Quality Inn and Suites for the weekend, with a catered dinner on Sunday, games and gifts. Should be in the mid-40's for numbers of immediate family members: The "Matriarch"..Granny, her four children/spouses which includes the 1st Lady and myself, 12 grandchildren and 10 spouses, and then tons of great grandkids!!! Always a great time, as most everyone enjoys the huge indoor pool facilities with hot tub where we have all brought food/snacks/games to play when not in the water.

We will remain up there until Monday morning when we will drive to the Lake of the Ozarks to have dinner with my sister/husband on Monday evening. Plan to stop in Jefferson City to visit my only remaining aunt.....who is now residing in an assisted care facility there. Then....back down here on Tuesday afternoon..........

And sooooo.....a four day Missouri Christmas Tour.........it has become an annual event. Always fun, though....always!!!

Sooooo, as usual.......

LIFE IS "BULGINGLY" GREAT!!!!!!.....And, I hope it is for all of you, too(without the bulge)!!

No comments: