Friday, May 07, 2010

Thur/Fri, May 6/7, 2010: Hmmmm........great wine=no posting

Thursday......a great day with some really warm temps, blue sky, strong breezes, and some great dinner guests.

The day went quickly.....VERY quickly....as I puttered around doing some things I needed to do in order to get ready to leave on Saturday for a few days. Ran out to Walmart to purchase some items......and then during the afternoon I assisted the 1st Lady in getting some prep done on dinner for our guests.

The Hanner's....Dave and Sue.....arrived about 6pm.....and for the next 1.5 hours or more, we enjoyed the great late afternoon/early evening out on the patio......enjoying the Howser/Hanner HappyHour. Some super appetizers by the 1st Lady, some great wine, both white and red.....and incredible conversation with good friends brought the short day to a warm and fun close.

Following the drinks on the patio, we went inside for dinner which the 1st Lady had prepared with a marvelous spinach/lettuce salad with balsamic dressing, crisply broiled garlic bread and wonderful mostaccioli!!! GREAT dinner accompanied by wine....and more great discussions over a myriad of topics.

The evening was topped off by an incredible fresh strawberry pie with a crust that had been cov ered in dark chocolate and then the strawberries on top with whipped cream on top of that! Yep.....a new recipe for the 1st Lady....and one that will be repeated often as we all like it!!!!

FRIDAY.........We left mid-mornng for Cape Girardeau......my glasses had arrived at Lenscrafters.....but not the 1st Lady's. With slight adjustments of the each of the frames for mine....the inside glasses and the sunglasses.......we then spent the next hour in Barnes & Noble....and then left to spend the afternoon with Mike. As I drove....I quickly realized that these lenses were not correct......I cannot see any better at a distance than I could with my old ones.......the highway signs are fuzzy/blurred/not clear........and, I AM upset!!!!! Yes, I will continue to wear them for the next few days on our trip north to Iowas City, Iowa.....but, when they have not made any improvements in my ability to read the signs....then something is wrong!!!!

This evening, after returning to the sticknbrick......I got on the computer and I cannot read as well with these new glasses as I can with the old ones. DAMN!!!!!!!!!! How depressing as I was sooooo looking forward to being able to read and see more distinctly with these new ones.....and they just do not do that for me!!! (Shades of three years ago when I had the same problems......and had to go through another eye exam and get the prescription adjusted). Same eye doctor......soooo,.....hmmmm, who knows??? BUT.....something is not correct with these!!!!!!

Two good days........two more days of my ever-shortening Life........are gone! We are leaving tomorrow afternoon for Glen Carbon, IL where we will attend a picnic/party in honor of Laura Gipson, Andrew's wife, who is to receive her Master's Degree tomorrow. We will attend the late afternoon party....and then drive on north to Monroe City to the 1st Lady's mother's home where we will stay until Tuesday morning. We will then drive on up to Iowa City to attend the performance of the percussion group in which Rachel, our granddaughter, is a performing member. It should be great fun!!!!!

And sooooo, short of not seeing very well, as always......

LIFE IS JUST REALLY, REALLY GREAT!!!!!.....And, I hope it is for all of you, also!!!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Why don't you go to a regular eye doctor instead of fooling with Lenscrafters. I would think you would have learned better by now!!!

John said...

Well.....I see the optometrist at Lenscrafters....with the same professional certification that all other "eye doctors" have....except for an opthomalogist, who is an MD with eye specialization.