Thursday, October 08, 2009

Day 2, Oct 8, 2009: A day in the city and the countryside....

Hmmmm......was I tired or not???? I didn't wake up until 8:30EDT this morning.....and do not remember putting my head on the pillow last night......YEP, I was really tired!!!

This morning, after some down time enjoying the bright sunshine streaming in the windows of their wonderful apt, we decided to walk to the city center....about 5 blocks away. Soooo great to be downtown in just a few short moments of enjoyable walking. The first thing we did was to visit the centuries old cemetery which is in the heart of the city center. The reason to go there???

My 9th great grandfather, Benjamin Burr, was one of the founders of Hartford, CT.....having arrived in America soon after the Mayflower arrived. He, along with several others, hacked their way through the forest into what is now Hartford....and established this "community" in the early 1600's. His name is inscribed on a monument in the cemetery as one of the founders and first early settlers of Hartford......and it was exciting to finally get to see this monument which I have known about for decades.

From there, we walked around/through the downtown area, over to the capitol building, and then back to their neighborhood where we had a delightful lunch at one of the local deli's. Returning to the apt......which is in a beautifully restored old home......we got some things together and left for a drive out west to Cornwall. The drive was the reason to go....as we went through all the hills and villages which were alive with the changing colors of the leaves. Still early in the process, the greens which still are there provided a wonderful contrast to the yellows and reds which are already on many of the trees. BEAUTIFUL!!!!

We returned around 7pm......and once again, Anne-marie fixed a great dinner!!!!!! Ohhhh, sooooo good!!!!! And.....I ate way tooooo much again this evening!!!!

Tomorrow, we are going to take the train into NYC and spend the night, returning sometime Saturday evening. Even though it is supposed to rain, it should be great fun as I haven't been to NYC since the last HS band trip....perhaps in 2002 or 2003....not sure which it was. Jeremy will come down sometime tomorrow evening as he has to work all day in preparation for Pres. Obama to come to CT for a fund-raiser for his candidate later this month.

I must apologize for not being able to post any pics with these posts from this trip because for some damn reason my computer cannot get online using their apt.'s modem.....a connection that just will not let me connect!!!! DAMN!!!!! Unless I can find a local free Wifi place of business/cafe/etc., I will not be able to post my pics until we return late next week.....UGH!!!!

And soooo, a wonderful, beautiful day........and, as always.....

LIFE IS JUST INCREDIBLY GREAT!!!!!!.....And, I hope it is for all of you, also!!!!!
(remember: Life is too short to stay in once place!!)

No comments: