Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Hot...hot...hot!!!

TOOOOOOOOOOOO hot for coffee on the patio........when will autumn arrive?????? This morning started quickly with a run over to the Bentinganan home as I took a bowl of fresh fruit to the family.....hopefully in time to use for breakfast.

Came home.......and then a bit later I dressed for the funeral of Dr. Bentinganan........never thought I would have difficulties getting my tie tied properly!!!! Guess it has been tooooo long since I have needed to wear one for any occasion.

The funeral was a service of celebration of his Life........as one of his sons said this morning, "Dad loved to celebrate.....any occasion", so it was only fitting that the service do the same for him. Vaughn....the saxophone performer......performed an original composition which was not only a display of his talent, but also a wonderful tribute to his father who had supported ALL of his children in sooooo many ways.

I was joined in St. Michael's Church here in F'town by two former students who are now BOTH outstanding band directors. It was great to see them.....and to have a brief bit of time to visit with each of them!!! In talking with each of them, it is always extremely gratifying to hear the influence that I had on them, their decisions to become band directors, and the successes they are now experiencing!! But you know the REALLY wonderful thing about being with my former students????? It is the incredible warm and wonderful friendships we share with each other........the value of friendships with former students can never be measured........it is what makes my Life so satisfying as a retired band director!!!!!!!

The afternoon.....well it was toooo hot to enjoy doing any of the needed work and tasks outside, so we began to sort and throw away STUFF!!!!!! WOW.......the 1st Lady and I are incredible pack rats........we have kept soooooooooooo many things, sooooooooooooo many pieces of paper...............soooooooooooooo many things that we just HAVE to keep, or so we thought at the time. STUFF.....STUFF......STUFF!

I want to throw it ALL out the door, but I am having some verbal confrontations with the 1st Lady about doing it. We have collected soooo many things from our trips around the world to so many countries.........NOW, what do we do with all of these things?????? With our remodeling projects and stages, we are now not wanting to have all of this STUFF and these THINGS sitting around on the floor, the tables, and on the walls. Can we part with it????? Hmmmmm, only time will tell...............

And so, as I ponder all of this STUFF and these THINGS........I continue to believe 110% that....

Life is GREAT......and I hope it is for all of you, also!!!! (what do YOU do with all of your STUFF?)

No comments: