Thursday, July 06, 2006

GOLD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

YEAH!!!! Justin won the Gold in his division of the Long Jump this afternoon!!!!!!!!! With 13 family members screaming and yelling, along with many, many other Missouri spectators, Justin's third jump of 4.3 meters won the gold for him...and Missouri!!! Exciting???? Hell yes, it was exciting. And, I don't think there was a dry eye in the family contingent......or at least I couldn't see any because of the tears rolling down my face. He had worked sooooo hard and this was his last chance to get a gold.......and he did it!! This was a moment that I will never forget.......one of the things that a person never forgets......EVER!

It started off with not having any coffee in the room this morning.....and so I ran down and brought some back up to the room to have while I checked out the news and emails as the others readied themselves for the day at the track. Breakfast was hurried with no time for coffee on the patio......as we had to be at the track by 8:30 this morning. The Relay team ran this morning and the guys didn't get a medal even though they ran really, really well. Just three better teams than they were this morning.

The 1st Lady and I caught a ride back to the GrandStay Suites later in the morning and got the truck for the remainder of the day. We returned rather quickly as Justin's long jump was to begin at 1pm.......which it didn't! It was finally 1:30 when the jumps began and then they progressed quickly.....and as I stated above, it was exciting and emotional!!! Worth WAY MORE than what the trip and week here in Ames, Iowa, have cost.........there is NO way you can put any kind of dollar amount on a day like today.

After the Awards Ceremonies, the 1st Lady and I decided to go get a bite or two to eat at the Dutch Pastry......a place we have been eyeballing since we arrived last weekend. Well, it was excellent. We purchased two "Dutch Letters"......had no idea what these were when we read the signs outside the shop. They are pastries filled with an almond filling and very, very flaky and yet a bit crusty, and covered with some sugar. DELICIOUS!!!! We picked them up, I bought a coffee, and we headed to one of the city parks where our great nephew was working on his skate board techniques at a skate board area that was really well designed and an outstanding facility to use for free by anyone!! We watched him enjoying himself and showing us what he could do......and it was a very pleasant place in the cool green park to eat and relax......far, far away from the maddening crowds of thousands at the Olympic venues.

While there I received a cell phone call from the manager of the GrandStay Residential Suites here in Ames, Iowa. This morning, my frustrations got the better of me with lack of complete services at the breakfast room, lack of the provided (or supposed to be...) coffee in our kitchen, lack of the proper number of towels delivered to our room, and the under staffing of the entire hotel.......and so I wrote to Customer Support at the provided email address on their website and sent an email enumerating my concerns and complaints to what I assume was the corporate offices. Hence......the phone call.......

And.....our conversation continued for close to 10 minutes as the manager explained to me the ongoing problems with ill staff, no coffee cups in the breakfast room off of the lobby, etc., etc., etc. I accepted his apologies as I do understand that there can be difficulties operating a hotel......however, we are paying a large sum for these rooms and these services should be provided with no problems OR interruptions. As all of you realize, I travel extensively both across the country and around the world....OFTEN......and so I have experienced many, many hotels and what they have to offer. Last year alone, I spent a total of just over 10 weeks in various hotels, so I do have experience at knowing just what services are to be provided when I book a room(s). This is a nice facility.......but the little glitches must be worked out and resolved if the people who stay here are to become repeat customers. As I have always told my students, "Excuses are for losers........Solutions are for those who will succeed"!! Would I stay here again???? On this question, the jury is still out. (Clean towels were delivered in the proper quantity today, however........the ONLY coffee left for our coffee maker was....DECAF!!!! UGH!!!!)

And so, without being negative on a GRAND DAY......a GOLD DAY......as always....

Life is GREAT......and I hope it is for all of you, also!!! CONGRATS, JUSTIN!!!

No comments: