Saturday, July 01, 2006

CRASH goes my lappie!!!

OMG……..it CRASHED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Or, at least it no longer works……….my own computer.....my trusty little lappie that goes everywhere with me, I’m talking about. The one I am writing with belongs to the 1st Lady……and thank God, we bought her a pc last fall or I/we would be S.O.L. I woke up early on Thursday, the day we planned to leave for the Lake of the Ozarks to visit my mother…..turned on my lappie….and after I poured some Fr. Roast coffee I sat down to check my email……and seeing the screen, I became rather ill. NOTHING would work and even after trying the Safe Mode in various configurations……NOTHING would work.

Sooo, after the 1st Lady was vertical about a half hour later, I told her that I was going out to the school to see if the computer guru who handles all of the school’s tech problems could give me some assistance. Well, after sitting there with him for two hours, the pc seemed to be working……I had a good opening screen, I could open my IMPORTANT document file and the documents within that file. I thanked him profusely and returned home to load the truck for the 12 day trip.

We left about 3 hours later than planned but arrived in Eldon during the early afternoon. Shortly thereafter, my sister and her man arrived and then another car pulled up and it was my niece and her son. Soooo, before long we were unloading the a/c that I had brought to my mother’s…..hers was dying of long age……and it didn’t take long to remove the sick a/c and install the newer one. And……it worked perfectly.

We ordered several pizzas and enjoyed the pizza and bread sticks. My sister left before long…..and I decided to write my blog report, knowing that it would be after 9pm before I could get online through my cell phone. BUT…………………. When I turned on my pc…..it was once again unable to open any program!!!!!! Upset I was…..to say the very least!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Soooo, we spent the remaining part of the evening watching the tellie……my mother having gone to bed fairly early as she normally does. At 93, she sleeps quite often during the day……and turns in for the night at an early hour.

FRIDAY……

We were up not too early and I went to the city center to purchase some pastries at a new bakery shop on the main street. Well…..much to my surprise, the owner happens to be one of my high school classmates…….and the father of two of my former students that I had in band when I was teaching in Eldon during the 80’s. It WAS great to talk for just a few minutes with him and to discuss the possible reunion of 45 years that our class might have this year.

Then…..after breakfast, we loaded the truck and headed north to Monroe City….where the 1st Lady’s mother lives. However, as we drove through Jefferson City, I decided to make a quick stop to visit an aunt of mine who lives there. She was married to my father’s brother……and at age 81 she still appears to be in her 50’s!!!!!! I hadn’t seen her for a couple of years and it was great to touch base with her and to spend an hour hearing about her two daughters and their families…..my cousins. She is a REAL “go getter”…….and I certainly do hope that I am as fit and jolly when I reach her age as she is now!!!!

We then drove on up to Monroe City…..and I immediately called the computer guru back in F’town…..and spent many, many minutes during the course of several phone calls to him as he walked me through various steps to try to get inside the brain of my lappie. All I want to do is to retrieve the Documents File…..and then I will put the Recovery Disk in and wipe out everything and give my little lappie a rebirth of all of her programs. BUT…..after working all afternoon, nothing happened!!!!!! Soooo, I am still without my lappie and all of files and documents. ………WOE IS ME!!!!!!!!!

My afternoon was rather depressing and so I probably gained 3 pounds during the evening……eating my way through my loneliness as my thoughts turned to all of my friends out there in Cyberspace that I am now totally isolated from!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Of course, in this small community there is no free Wifi floating around, the Librarian thinks that I am terrorist because I would like to use one of their computers without being a member of their community, and my mother-in-law has not a clue what the internet really is and does for humanity in the year 2006.

Soooo, I may sneak away this afternoon (Saturday) and attempt to get on the free Wifi at the Quality Inn in Hannibal to get this post out to the world……AND to check my email. I am certain that with all of the spam crap, my account is about to explode!!! At this stage in my Life now that I am totally addicted to the internet and everyone in Cyberspace, I have horrendous withdrawal problems when I find myself isolated from the world like I find myself now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IF I am unable to get to Hannibal, I will have to wait until I reach the hotel in Ames, Iowa, tomorrow afternoon to post this from the 1st Lady’s lappie. I continue to spend way toooooooo much time worrying about own little lappie……..I do sooooo miss her!!!!!! She has been sooooo damn good to me over the past 13 months……oh yeah!!!! Did I tell you that her warranty ran out LAST MONTH?????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Isn’t that always the way these things occur?????? It is my own damn fault for not extending the warranty when I was offered a chance to do so last month. Oh well…..such is Life.

I am in Hannibal.....5:30pm on Saturday....sitting in 100 degree weather in the truck in the parking lot of the Quality Inn Suites......piggybacking onto their free Wifi!!!

And, even with all of these problems that my lappie is giving me right now……

Life is Great…….and I hope it is for all of you, also!!!!

No comments: