Sunday, September 26, 2010

Sun, Sep 26, 2010: Another day in Philly......

This morning after working through the crowds down in the breakfast room, we waited until about 11am to leave the hotel, as the store we needed to visit did not open until 12noon on Sunday. Soooo, off we went on the hotel shuttle......a nice free perk from the hotel......to the city center. We wandered about into a couple of other shops....and then, finally.....the West Elm home store opened their doors. We once again checked out the table which we had looked at yesterday......and definitely decided to purchase it. It was only $200 and the way it is boxed, it would fit right into the trunk of the car.....saving us some shipping costs had we ordered it online.

Soooo, after making the purchase and re-confirming that I could pick it up in back of the store at the loading dock.....the 1st Lady decided to walk the few blocks to Jeremy's apartment.....and, I went below ground and took the swift subway back to within about six short blocks to the hotel. Then......I gathered up the 1st Lady's sweater and a sweatshirt for myself.....and jumped into the car and headed back to the store. Well,.....a few of the streets that I was going to drive on were closed for one reason or another, thereby altering my route!!!! And.....with the various one-way streets, it took me quite a while to figure out just how to get to the small street behind the store to pick up my table.

However, I did get there OK.......waited on the loading dock guy to get me my table and to put it into the trunk. That he did.......and I went on my way to Jeremy's apt. at the Parc Riddenhouse beautiful building. The 1st Lady met me there, took her sweater, and then I told her I was going to take the car back to our hotel to park it, as the costs of the parking for each day was already added to my hotel bill.....$23 a day to park....which is a REALLY great price for secure parking here in the city. Soooo, back to the hotel I went.......parked the car.....and then grabbing my backpack, I walked back to the subway entrance, took the next subway train and was soon only three blocks from Jeremy's place. Cost of the subway is only $2.00.....a really terrific bargain!

Walking back to his apt., it began to rain....and I was glad I had an umbrella with me. Being stopped by the doorman at the hotel, I explained who I was, and soon I was in Jeremy's apt. We chatted for a while.....Anne-marie's train from NYC had only arrived at 12 noon, so we got hear of her 24 hours trip to the Big Apple. Later in the afternoon, I went across the park to Barnes & Noble and spent a couple of hours in there reading and looking.....and enjoying. It was extremely packed and busy with lots of people.......and so, I didn't get get to do some of the looking for items I had wanted to do. I did check out a highway map of Panama......as Jeremy and Anne-marie are planning to spend six months there, beginning in December. They will rent an island house....on an island just off of the coast, reachable only by boat.......and are wanting us to come down to visit them during the winter. However......our plans are becoming more complete to spend 6 weeks in New Zealand in the late winter/early spring.....so, I doubt we will go down to Panama this time.

Jeremy made reservations for tonight's dinner at La Viola.....a small, intimate Italian restuarant which boasts some great reviews and ratings by Zagat's......and, it was only about 3 blocks from his apt. Soooo, we ambled over there.....the rains had stopped.....and were seated quickly. It was a terrific meal......I had some very tender veal and artichoke hearts with a marvelous white wine and lemon sauce over several thin slices of veal.....along with broccoli and three slices of potatoes. The bread, the salad, and the cappuccino after dinner were all really well prepared. The 1st Lady's pasta with shrimp, scallops, and lobster looked really great.....and, she said that it was incredibly good. Both Jeremy and Anne-marie's dinners were very good......and, as is most Italian restaurants......the prices were quite reasonable!!! The best thing of this dining experience?????? The incredible service which we had from the waiters!!!!!!! Absolutely the most outstanding service and attention we have had in a restaurant in several years of dining out here in the states and in Mexico, Canada, Egypt, and Jordan!!!!!!! A pleasant surprise......and a grand experience along with the wonderful dinner!!!!!

We walked them back to their apartment, gathered our things that we had left there, and said our "good-byes". Then we walked a couple of blocks and decided to call the hotel shuttle to come pick us up.....that great "perk" from the Comfort Inn!!!!

And soooo, tomorrow we leave for Harrisonburg, VA for the evening.........spending some time with my relatives which I am very, very excited about!!!!! Then......to more short days drive....and we will back in the sticknbrick for a few days before we leave for 8 days in Disney World, as well as some more time wandering around in Florida.

And, as always.............

LIFE IS JUST INCREDIBLY GREAT!!!!!!......And, I hope it is for all of you, also!!!!!

No comments: