Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Wed, Aug 25, 2010: Interesting morning......eye still doing ok!

This morning.....I was up a bit earlier than usual.......and left the house at 8am for the Follis Center.....a room owned by the local funeral home here in F'town where meetings can be held. And......this morning at 9:30, Missouri Senator Claire McCaskill was to be there for a Town Hall meeting. "Be there early" was the "word of the week", but that proved to be not necessary, as by the time she arrived at 9:29.....the hall was still not full.

Making some brief statements about things in Washington and across our country, she then opened the floor to questions. All questions had to be written out and then signed by the "asker". However.....she allowed the individuals to have her read the questions, or...they could ask the question....or, they could ask a different question. The questions were good.....concise and to the point. Only a couple at the end of the hour plus session became a bit contentious .....as one person began talking about the deficit and then said something about Missouri seceding from the Union!! Another one was about the Health Care Reform Act.....and she just plainly didn't know her facts....as with her "small business" she thought she would be made to purchase insurance for them......Claire asked her how many employees she had...and she said 2-3!!!! Well, Claire did set her straight on the facts then!

Afterwards, I went up to see Claire.....and as I re-introduced myself.....we had set at a head table back in 'o4 when I was running for the MO House of Representatives......she immediately knew me....she dropped her papers and gave me a HUGE hug......and then she said in the next breath: "OHHH...you are Jay Howser's Dad!!!!.......OMG, I just love Jay!!" "Whose campaign is he doing this year???" "Where is he living?" "Give him a BIG HUG for me, John" She was sooooo excited......to say the least!!!!! We chatted a couple of minutes....until I realized that the other people there were behind me in line, waiting their turn to meet Sen. McCaskill.....so I told her I would contact her when we are in D.C. the next time.....and she said she would try to find time to do lunch with us. THAT I doubt will ever happen.......she is such a busy, busy person!!!! But, it WAS great to see her again and to have a few minutes with her.....

The afternoon was spent.....doing not much of nothing. My eye is fine for the second day in a row......but, I am really limiting myself to doing nothing!!!!!!! Reading on the patio with a cool drink in my hand.......weather was stupendous today!!!! Then I had the cousin of the couple across the street mow my lawn again for me later this afternoon. This time I did get to talk with him.....well, a very limited conversation as he speaks VERY LITTLE English......he being from Mexico. He is up here for a few months to take an English class to learn our language. A great young man!!!!!!! So pleasant, so nice, so polite!!!!! I told him to come over to the house and I would help him with his English whenever we both have a bit of time......

And soooo, a good day.....fun morning.....relaxing afternoon/evening. And....of course, as always.....

LIFE IS JUST REALLY, REALLY GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!.....And, I hope it is for all of you, also!!!!!!

No comments: