Sunday, August 29, 2010

Sat/Sun, Aug 28/29, 2010: Almost silence in the sticknbrick.....

Yesterday.......a relaxing morning, especially with the windows open to the natural sounds from the outside. I opened them as soon as I pulled my sagging hulk out of the bed......turned on the coffee maker....and soon the French Roast was ready to accompany the sounds of the many birds having a late breakfast at the feeders, but insisting on telling everyone about what they were munching on at the little trough. We still have many different birds enjoy their meals with us on the edge of the patio.....and we are really chirpy about that, as we expected some of them to not return after the inland hurricane last year.

Shortly after lunch I drove up to Farmington to check on my next door neighbor who was hospitalized after his automobile accident. As I approached his room, his two daughters were just leaving....both live in Oklahoma....and so we chatted in the hallway for a few minutes......about him, of course. We all agree that at his age of 84, he had no business mowing his large yard any more. They had told him that, but he was not happy about their idea, so I informed them that I would re-enforce that idea with him. And....when I pushed him about now mowing his lawn.....and, he mentioned that had seen my temporary "lawn-boy" mowing mine......he agreed!!! I told him I would work out the details and he told me a price he was willing to offer him.....and so...hopefully he will stick by this almost "life-saving" decision of his.

Returning to the sticknbrick later in the afternoon.....I did shop at Penny's for a bit, but didn't find anything that I needed or couldn't live without.....so, not money spent there! The remainder of the afternoon was spent thinking about an idea that has been consuming my thought processes for a couple of days....................

I have been approached twice in the past couple of days about taking a group to Europe in the coming year......and, so I began to mentally sketch out some ideas about doing this. I have taken 11 groups to Europe over the years.....ever since the early 1980's....and each tour was an appetizer tour.....flying over, visiting several countries for about three weeks, and then flying back to the states. The last group I took was in 2001 and it just happened to be the largest group I have taken....38 adults and students! We did have our own charter bus....no other student group was with us.....and it worked beautifully! Sooooooo.......as I have always tried to teach my students: IF YOU DON'T THINK BIG, NOTHING BIG WILL EVER HAPPEN!

And, I have decided to check into taking a group to Italy early next summer for 12-14 days. I want to focus on three cities: Rome, Florence, and Venice and then perhaps a side trip or two out of the cities to see the Leaning Tower of Pisa and to Pompeii. LOTS to think about....and I do have to check with the tour company that I used for each tour that I took as to prices, etc......as I have not totally designed an overseas tour like I did with the high school band trips to New York City and to Washington DC, as well as the Black Hills in South Dakota and to Disney World in Florida.

I have discussed this trip possibility on my Facebook page....and have great responses so far, even without any details to discuss! We really need to have each seat in the bus taken....as that will make it a bit cheaper for those making the trip. It will not be "cheap".....nothing is cheap in Europe...ever. We will not be staying in 5 star hotels......as when going to Europe, a hotel is not THEE destination.....it is only a place to sleep and leave our belongings that is clean, convenient, comfortable, and safe with a close proximity to the city centers.

Soooo, today.....has been a continuation of this researching and planning process! I am quite excited about the idea.....but, I have done this before and realize that while everyone gets excited about the idea, not everyone is able to follow through with making this idea become a reality for themselves. I do not want to take any students still in school unless their parents are making the trip........I just do not wish to be the chaperone to young adults who hormones are raging as well as being concerned about abusing the drinking policy that I have always had for the students when traveling in Europe with me(parent's permission had to be given and, parents and child had to sign the permission slips). This can be an incredibly fun and exciting trip.........and I am just salivating at the thought of returning to Italy, my favorite European country!

Sooo, the day is completed. I have invited Michael Goldsmith to join me for an early cup...or two...of coffee in the morning before he has to leave to go to Mineral Area College where he is a music instructor there. Only an hour together........how can we possibly get eveything discussed?????? Impossible!

And, as always......

LIFE IS JUST INCREDIBLY GREAT!!!!!!......And, I hope it is for all of you, also!!!!!

No comments: