Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Wednesday: Day 1..........

We pulled onto the highway heading south at roughly 8:30 this morning, after checking tires, loading a few more items, and closing down the house, and making sure that the ALARMS were set!

We had not gone very far past Cherokee Pass when I began to hear a metal clanking, not a steady sound, but every 15 seconds or so.....and erratic. Found a wide shoulder.....wide enough to pull completely off of the highway. Got out.....and then saw that my left front "landing gear" was resting on the pavement!!!!! The other one?.......still up inside the basement. What the hell.......I thought, along with many other unwritable comments. I opened up the compartment door where the controls for the extending and retraction of the legs are located.......and I pushed the switch and the leg retracted. Sooooo, I pushed the extend switch.....and both came down, put some weight on them by lifting the 5er up while still hitched up.....and then retracted them again. Pushed down the "shoe" of the leg and it would not budge, did not fall down, etc. Sooooooo, I pulled out again and resumed our day's journey.

Now.......any readers on here have any idea why this would occur. I have the hydraulic landing gear legs.........and, of course, this event never left my mind the rest of the day, or for that matter, even right now. Now to make it clearer.....this was not the inner part of the telescopic legs, but the heavier, outer part. Soooo, we made the next 400 miles OK.....but, I kept looking out at my side mirror to check on it...at least every 10 minutes.

We arrived at the KOA in Texarkana, TX, just a block from the state line, about 3:30 this afternoon. Even though it may dip below freezing tonight, I went ahead and de-winterized the RV....and will turn on the tank heaters to keep them warm.....and the basement is also heated. The hose may freeze, but a bit of hot water will handle that in the morning. Weather for tomorrow is supposed to be in the 50's as we move on down to the San Antonio area for tomorrow night, with luck.

The 1st Lady had a gift certificate for her birthday that expired this week, so we headed over to Kohl's and she found a few items to use up that certificate......imagine that!!! HAHA. Then we went the Texas Roadhouse for dinner..........the steaks were overcooked, but everything else was fine.

We are now in our den watching some tellie, the fireplace is going, and TheHowserHouse is warming up nicely. Tomorrow will be the longest day of driving, so I do want to get another early start on the trip......hopefully.

A good day, even with the strange rv problem this morning.....and I know that, as always.....

LIFE IS REALLY, REALLY GREAT!!!!!......And, I hope it is for all of you, also!!!!!

No comments: