Wednesday, June 01, 2005

WIND....WIND....WIND!!!!!!

Oh my God, but I have never driven in such horrendous wind in all my driving life!!!!!!!!!!! The parts for my RV slides arrived by plane overnight from Indiana at 10:30 this morning.......the RV service dept installed them in less than an hour and we were on the road by 12:30pm. Off to Laramie with drizzle and clouds almost covering the Snowy Moutain Range. Crossed the highest point on Interstate 80 in the US at 8000+ feet and then with my new exhaust brake on the truck, we descended into Laramie for some diesel fuel.

As we entered Laramie, an electrical sign above the road warned all trailers of high winds between Laramie and Rawlins in the foothills of the mts. We elected to take another two lane route away from the foothills to avoid the cross winds coming down out of the mt. passes and canyons. It went great on this 80+ miles with only a few vehicles taking the same route. Saw well over 200 antelope along the side of the road just standing there in awe of this tremendous white hulk rushing down the road attached to some loud diesel truck!!

Got back on I-80 and WOW......the blasts soon began to hit us. Went for 150 miles to Rock Springs and it took FOREVER. At times I was descending hills and had to keep my foot pressed to the floor just to go between 45 and 50mph because of the 40 mph headwinds hitting me and my RV headon!! It was the worst day of driving I have experienced.

We arrived at Rock Springs which lies in a deep ravine/valley and the winds were still horrible. We are at the WalMart (surprised???) parking lot and the RV is shaking and rocking in the winds here. The fridge which runs on LP will not stay lit.....hopefully it is just the punishing winds. The parking lot must have almost 50 RV units on the fringes of the lot.......all resting and rocking after their own perils of the windy roads.

Tomorrow we will arrive at Star Valley Resort on the Wyoming/Idaho border.......hopefully!!! I SURE HOPE I can get cell service there......it is a very small town in a deep valley. Should know by tomorrow afternoon. If there are not posts..........yep, you guessed it.......no service!!

So, let me get my bruised and drained body to bed and be rocked to sleep by those demonic winds whipping across southern Wyoming's prairies. Until later....

2 comments:

Kathy said...

I just scanned your post as I'm due back at the trailer but will take my time once I'm back with the littles.

We've had INCREDIBLE rain and wind here in the Cancun area also. More rain forecast.

Course, with the heat index, we're doing about 113F, so rain is REALLY welcome!

I remember WY from our drive from MI to CA fondly.

Hope things get better Internet wise and good to see you're enjoying the road! :)

Kathy said...

Oh Boy, reading your post really brought back memories. We drove through there in early December of last year. It was windy then but probably not as windy as now.

Take care!