Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Day 71: Variety filled this day.......

You know.....I often wonder why I am writing this blog!??? The number of daily readers continues to amaze me.......and, that in itself spurs me on to jot down a few lines each evening. However.....it would be nice to know if there is anything that all, or any, of you would like to read about........and perhaps I could touch on those subjects from time to time. As I re-read many of these latest posts.....it just seems to me that I am writing things that are bound to bore many of you.....as I often say the same stock phrases in these posts.......DAMN!!!! I suppose I need to vary my verbage more.......???? Sooooo......how about some input, which can be made through the "Comments" section, which I then receive and moderate.

Here in the RGV today.......it was very cloudy and dark when the 1st Lady left on her bike for the Rec Hall to attend her morning Tai-Chi class. She has no light on the bike.....and she is concerned about that, but it had not been needed, nor necessary, until this past Sunday when Daylight Savings Time began. I KNOW that she is going to miss her Tai-Chi class when we depart here before long.......I wish there was some way she could continue it, but we neither one know of anything like it around our area of Missouri/Misery.

As we had plans for the morning, I pulled myself out of bed and completed my morning rituals, made my French Roast coffee (THAT "verbage" will not change), and then as I do each morning, read the online newspapers which I follow. She returned around 8am.....and we both fixed a bite of breakfast.......OK: I am recently "into" eaching oatmeal each morning......using the pre-mixed packets and I had preferred the Maple/Brown Sugar ones....however, I have recently changed to the nut and grain ones. Very good, they are...they are!!!!

A little after 9am we drove out of the resort to go west about 19 miles to Pharr, where a morning
Plus (second level) square dance was being held...at Tropic Star RV Park. We met our very good friends there.....all three couples had been at the potluck dinner last night......and for the next two hours we danced with them, and the with those that our number cards designated, so that we get an opportunity to meet and dance with others. About halfway through the two hour dance, wonderful, caloric pastries are available.....and, OMG....they are soooooooooo fresh and soooooooooo good!!!! Just really some of the best I have ever eaten here in the states!!!

With the dance over, the 1st Lady and I decided to looker a little closer at the Tropic Star Park.....and so we drove around....both in the RV sections and in the Park Model/Mobile Home sections. It is a well maintained park, but there are some drawbacks to it also.........the rigs/units are often parked very close together....and in some areas they are back to back with other rigs. I am not fond of that parking arrangement as we have such wonderful large back window which I don't want to use to see the back side of another rv......not a very scenic view, is it?

We also understand that the Wifi internet availability is very poor there.....and, quite obviously, Wifi is VERY important to us, not only for my HowserHouse blog, but for much of our personal business and finance transactions. Now.....you may ask why are we looking at another rv park??

Well, we have driven about 2500 miles in the past 2.5 months since we arrived down here, and all except for 100 miles, it has been up and down the highway between Llano Grande and the west side of the RGV.....to go to square dances. Soooo, we have been giving some thought to moving closer to where these dances are held.......however, upon returning back to Llano Grande this afternoon, we once again realize just how nice, how attractive, how green, how roomy, how...how...how.....yep, Llano Grande IS an incredible RV Resort and it would certainly be difficult to make a change after you have become used to having the very best there is!!!!!!

Soooo, leaving Tropic Star after the little look-around, we went to the Don-Wes Fruit/Veggie Market and Flea Market for about an hour. From there, we went to Weslaco to a Mexican cafe that had been recommened to us on Texas Ave: Monterrey Cafe. Well........we were both really disappointed as it was at the most, just average.......in fact, it was below average in my judgement. To begin with, the salsa/chips which are always brought to the table at the same time as the menus...well, it was almost tasteless!!! NOT a good way to begin the meal...!! I ordered the three Enchiladas.....with the standard rice and refried beans. Damn....but I DO get tired of those same two items with almost every Mexican meal that I order. I keep trying to think of a standard food item that we here in the states eat at each meal, but the only thing that comes to mind is our bread of some type. Their tortillas replace the bread in the Mexican cafes.
Sooooo, to repeat......I would not return there again. It was higher priced than most Mexican cafes around here......and a LOT less quality in the meals!!!!

From there we went on south on Texas to the main shopping area of Weslaco....and stopped at a really nice ladies clothing store: dresses, hats, shoes, jewelry, purses, etc. REALLY a very nice place......and the 1st Lady tried on several items, but nothing was just right for her today. Could it have been the poor lunch we had just eaten??? Hmmmm.........

Back to our wonderful Llano Grande Resort.....where we kicked back and relaxed for a little....and then a knock on the door came, and within a few minutes, we were over at Doug and Diane's motorcoach for drinks during Happy Hour. It is sooooo great to have them here again....and since our time together is short, we do want to take advantage of each and every moment that we can spend together!!!!!!! And, in regards to that last statement.....I believe I am making a bit of headway in convincing the 1st Lady to stay here for another week, not leaving on the 16th, but heading north on the 23rd of March.....which would mean that we would have to eliminate the Hill Country northwest of San Antonio this year. We'll see.........

The evening has been spent in front of the tellie.........not the best evening for TV, but we are both tired from this very, very busy day....and, tomorrow...........yep, tomorrow we are going to breakfast together with Doug and Diane and then the four of us are off to Mexico for another shopping trip. The weather is predicted to sour a bit......mucho cooler temps with the highs only in the upper 60's......BRRRRRR,.... that IS going to be quite a change for a couple of days. Light rain is also predicted, but down here "light rain" is usually only barely enough to make the streets damp.....haha!!!

And sooooo, as I said above, this day has been full of a variety of things that we have done.......and as I reflect back on the past 15 hours, it HAS been varied and busy. But....as usual, a day like that has re-assured this sagging hulk of me (another phrase I over-use)....that.....

LIFE IS REALLY, REALLY GREAT!!!!!!.....And, I hope it is for all of you, also!!!!!!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

hello john, i've been reading your blog over a year now and look forward to it every day, you see im still a working stiff and have about 3 to 4 years till i can retire, i dont know how to put this but by through you i can see what my retirement will be like or what i would like it to be like.
we plan on going away for the winter months and you have given us a great insight into the rio grande area, take care and thank you for your blog. mike in northern michigan

Keith said...

John, I appreciate the effort you put into this blog. I wish I could tell you..oh, this is what you need to write about!...but I can't.. :) I have told you before, I like to read about where you have been..pictures are even better with it..and as strange as it may seem...it is just part of my day to check this blog early in the morning..I would miss it...even your everyday activites are interesting and usually amusing. I like your descriptions of Mexico...although I wonder at the safety of being there with all that is going on at other border areas...Thanks again for the journal....

Larry and Cindy said...

Personally I like the day to day activities. To you, I know it seems as though you write the samething, but with all the different places you visit, what you do and what your see then the way you talk about them it doesn't read as if you are saying the samething.. The thing your writing says to me "Hell I am really having a blast here even if it is a boring day(today)." How bad is that? It's like you are talking to your Diary not the world. The readers can take away what they want. I for one enjoy reading your blog every morning to see what you two have been up to, knowing we could be doing the samething some day..

Anonymous said...

John; I have been reading your blog since January and enjoy it very much. I am retiring next year and we are looking forward to doing some of the same things like going south for part of the winter. As for anything that I would like to read in your writing part of the enjoyment in reading is the way you write about the things that matter to you most and how you can make the reader understand that. Keep up the good writing.