Wednesday, July 27, 2005

Playing catch-up w/the last few days......

Sunday…..

After a busy, fun-filled evening last night,,,,,,this morning was a laid back,relaxing way to begin another day. Breakfast was at the hotel, and while the food was perhaps a bit below average and the coffee was made by dragging no more than two beans thru some hot water….it was very pleasant to sit and relax.

The 1st Lady and Rachel enjoyed to the max about two hours in the pool while I read the morning papers over the internet. As all of the family who had gone to St.Joe for the wedding were staying in the hotel…..many of the younger set also gathered at the pool and had some fun family time.

We left town around noon only AFTER I stopped at the local Starbucks for a very good cappuccino!!!! WOW…..sooooo good and dark! Then it was a dash across Missouri on hwy 36 over to Monroe City. It was 98 when we left and after the 170 miles , it was 105 when we arrived……soooo damn hot, but up here there is very little humidity since it is terribly dry. Not sure I have seen such brown dead grass in years and years……it is just awful.

Prior to driving out of St. Joe and AFTER I got my cappuccino…..we ran across a pickup that was selling fresh corn on the cob. For $3 a dozen, we bought two doz. And the boys thru in several extra. AND…tonight we had several ears with HOME “GRANNY” GROWN tomatoes as part of BLTs. (“granny” is the 1st Lady’s mother)……..SOOOOOO TASTY!!!!!! Can’t wait for some more tomorrow………my very favorite veggie.

Guess what……I can’t get on the net here….the cell service is on “extended”…and I can’t get on….damn it!!! So, I will go to the Library tomorrow to post this and read my email.
Someday I will have a system/technology where by I will not have to do the Library run.

So…..adios amigos for tonight.

Monday…….

A day without access to the internet. I went to the local Library here in town this morning to use their computer(s) but…..I “have to have a library card”. Sooo, I told the young man that I would fill out the application, or, rather he would have to fill it out for me since I couldn’t write. He did so and then he said I “would have to wait for 24 hours before I could get my card”. I got a bit upset but told him I would be back in the morning.

I had already argued that I couldn’t understand why it is necessary to have a card when every library I have been to in many towns and different states have allowed me, or anyone else, to use their computers. Lost the argument, tho. “Library rules and regulations.”

Soooo, the day went on by with the heat reaching 105 again today……about the same temperature that I had reached while in the library. Spent several hours….actually more like the entire afternoon reading a book.

Not anything of interest on tv this evening, so I pushed my ripening eyes to bulge and squint more by continuing to read all evening. GOOD book…..a Ken Follett novel “Hornett Flight”…..a story about WWII in Denmark and the Resistance that was organized there. Some of his novels are really good and, like many authors who write sooo prolifically, some of his writing is not that interesting. Hmmmmm, could that be applied to blog writers, too???? HAHAHA.

Tuesday……

Sooo, after managing to pull my eyelids apart from all that reading yesterday, I got up, had my breakfast and percolator coffee…not too good…and shortly after 10AM I presented myself at the counter of the Library. THE Librarian told me I would not get a library card since I “didn’t live here”. The heat in the room became VERY hot as I stood there with smoke exiting from all possible orifices of my ripe and over heated body. I immediately took issue with her over this and I proceeded to tell her what a “negative aspect this rule was having on this little community”. I “discussed” how I had never run into this type of archaic rule in any library in all of the various states I had visited, etc., etc., etc. While I was presenting “my case” and supportive arguments, a lady came up and tapping me on my shoulder, stated to “Marian, the Librarian” that I could sign in to a computer under her name since she thought the rule was “ridiculous, too”.

“Marian” was flabbergasted….stunned, and beyond words. She had lost the verbal confrontation. She never said a word as the kind lady ushered me to her computer and pulled out the chair for me to sit down. I checked my ever-growing volumes of email, again thanked my unknown benefactor…who again said the rules at this Library were terrible and “outdated”, and left the Library and the dominating “Marian”. I intend to follow-up on this with a strong letter to the Editor of the News(paper).

(I did not think clearly enough…quickly…when “Marian” first denied me the card….because we do own farm acreage in this community!!)

I then went over to Quincy, IL to pick up some items for the 1st Lady’s mother. On my way out of town, she asked me to cash some checks at the bank for her, since she can no longer drive due to losing her eyesight this past year. The teller at the drive-thru asked me to sign under my mother-in-law’s signature, but as I held up my broken, casted arm, I said I couldn’t write. She just laughed and said, “You look like a trustworthy fellow.”, and gave me the money. Hmmmm, wonder why “Marian the Librarian” couldn’t see me that way???? HAHA!

Soooo, after purchasing the requested items in Quincy,,,,including some “algae eater” fish for her fish tank, I returned to my scheduled appointment with Ken Follett and his WWII discussion.

AND…..this afternoon the temp has dropped to 68 degress and IT IS RAINING in northern Missouri!!!!!

Hasta luego….(but not to you, “Marian”!!!)

No comments: