Saturday, March 24, 2007

Day 81: And now we are in SANTE FE, NM!!!

A bit of rain fell in the early hours of the morning, and so I found myself awake waiting for the sun to rise so I could get up and prepare for the road. By 7:15am, I was out and making the routine preparations for a trip down the road with TheHowserHouse. The 1st Lady was up much earlier than usual and be 8am we were pulling out of our site. However....since we didn't have sewage at our site it was necessary to pull around by the dump station(soooo aptly named "dump".. heehee), and to hook up my little sewage hose, pull the handle and a little slide opens.....and voila! All of our un-needed items were rushing into the hole in the ground!!!!

I had just started the process of hooking up the hose when a motor home pulled in behind me and seeing that I had just begun....the engine stopped and this young fellow jumped out and came over to chat ........all while I was doing the not-so-fun task of disposing of our crap...literally. He was all excited as he had just picked up this motor home in Phoenix......one that he had "purchased" on Ebay!!! Last night had been his first night in his new "home" on wheels.

Well, as we became "friends at the dump", he mentioned that he was a pilot for Southwest Airlines......and loved to camp via an rv. He had owned a Class C....what used to be called a mini-motor home, but that he wanted something larger. He was very young looking and said he lived in Dallas and was on his way back with his motor home via Colorado for some snowboarding! I mentioned that I was a retired band director.....and he then became more excited as that was his favorite class in school and he said that without having been in band, his life would not be the one he soooo enjoys now. Soooo, we continued to chat as the crap continued to slosh into the hole in the ground.........and soon.......my dump task was finished. As I pulled the hose out and ran water through the hose for the necessary cleansing action, he then asked if I had any more of the rubber gloves that I use for this not-so-sanitary task of rving. Soooo, I gave him a couple of pairs of the gloves........we said our goodbyes over the dump hole.....and the 1st Lady and I drove on out of the rv park and onto I-40.

348 miles and six hours and 15 minutes later we pulled into Sante Fe Skies RV Park on a mountainside about Sante Fe, NM. It was an uneventful trip through some interesting country.....both high desert and then more and more long hills as the topography changed the farther east we drove. And......OF COURSE.....as we began the descent into Albuquerque with traffic on all sides of TheHowserHouse.....it began a heavy rain. Would I have expected anything less than that for my first trip into this fine city???? HELL NO!! Not knowing in which lane to keep my 53' rving ensemble I slowed down and kept squinting out of the front window between the rapid movement of the wiper blades........and made the transition from I-40 to the northbound I-25 which would take us up 50+ miles to Santa Fe. SUCCESS despite the natural elements playing havoc with my mind, my physical stress, and making TheHowserHouse a dirty mess! (not intended to be a rhyme)

The RV Park has a beautiful main building facility with the best restrooms, laundry, and reception room of any park I have been to in a long time. The sites???? Well, they are not as nice as I expected.....gravel..a bit uneven and unlevel.....and each site being a different length and width. However, having said that, the wifi here is EXCELLENT!!!!!! The best we have had the entire trip!!!!! Can't believe it. The price is a bit elevated.....but this is a "1st Class City" and a very popular tourist destination for not only us Americans but more of a world class city with many rv'ers here from other parts of the world......in rented rv's. Paid $98 for three nights which included a 10% discount for being a Good Sam member.

And soooooo, after doing a bit of laundry, we decided to enjoy the views of the city lights below us, have a glass of wine in front of the fireplace as we look out the window at the glow of Sante Fe. Tomorrow we will be up and going as there is MUCH to see and do. Our first stop will be at the Georgia O'Keeffe Art Museum........she lived here in the area for many years. I hope to get a couple of prints of two of her works for our stick and brick.

You guessed it.......it has been a really good day.....from the start with the new "dump crap chat" friend to the finish with the vino and twinkling lights below......and the vino also had a good "finish"! Sooooooo, as you might realize.....

LIFE IS GREAT........And I hope it is for all of you, also!!!!!

No comments: