Monday, March 19, 2007

Day 76: AHHHH....The beauty of the GRAND CANYON National Park!!

Hmmmm…….a COLD night seemed to have slipped into our RV Park….and it penetrated TheHowserHouse…somewhere around 6am. I woke up and it seemed a bit cold and so I got up and closed the bedroom door……and then turned on the little portable ceramic heater that we have in there for just this type of occasion. By 7 everthing was toasty warm in the bedroom and then I clicked on the furnace for the rest of “thehouse”.

We had breakfast…..and then as the 1st Lady was making the final preps to leave, I dashed into town to pick up an expected letter which was to have my membership card in it for Passport America. This is a club that allows members to camp at their member campgrounds for half price. Upon arriving here yesterday afternoon I had given them an email which showed that I was a member…….and while the membership cost me $45.00 for the year, our bill for four nights here was only $62 at half price. Soooooo based on my math I have already paid for my dues….and came out $17 to the good!! THAT is the way I like it……and now every cg that we stay in that is a member is just saved money in our pocket!! There are almost 1400 member rv parks in the country…..so it should work for us.

The post office was closed until 9am…….so back to the Canyon West RV Park I went……picked up the 1st Lady and we then went back to the post office and picked up my General Delivery letter. Then…….we turned north and headed to the Grand Canyon National Park…..54 miles up the road.

As passed through the entrance I was excited to be almost 64 years old!!! When I reached 62 a couple of years ago I had purchased for $10 my Golden Age Passport….which allows me to take myself and car and passengers into any national park for FREE. The sign read that the entrance was $25 per car!!!!!! WOW….another savings for my pocketbook!!

We stopped at the first overlook once in the park…..and OMG……I was sooooo amazed at the size of the canyon!!!! My first look……and I don’t think I will ever forget it. The rest of the day was spent in riding the tram along the western south rim of the canyon, stopping at all the viewpoints and walking, taking pics, and ooooooing and ahhhhhhing and just overcome with the beauty of this place.

I could go on with the adjectives but will save you from that…….it was just one of those perfect cloudless skies and a perfect temp…..and it was a PERFECT DAY!!!! We left the park a bit after four and drove back to our rv park in Williams. We had thought about eating at this recommended Mexican restaurant…..but we just decided to eat in at TheHowserHouse and enjoy the evening.

I do have to remember to let my water drip through my city water connection as many of the water hoses froze here in the camp…..not in the coaches, but in the hoses on the ground attached to the coaches. Sooooo, guess I was lucky last night!!! Without question………..after a day like today…..

LIFE IS GREAT!!!! And I hope it is for all of you, also!!!!!!! (Thanks for the info, Margaret!)

No comments: